Thursday 4 May 2017

GOOSE GRASS AND BINDWEED

Goosegrass, bindweed, bluebess, brambles and the remains of a celandine.

The Goosegrass in the title goes up the middle It isn't grass and is also called 'Cleavers' - the leaves are slightly sticky and when the little seed balls develop they will cling easily to your clothes. Bindweed (convolvulus) has large heart shaped leaves and will have huge, white, trumpet-like flowers. Bottom right - three leaves on the top of a stalk - new bramble leaves (blackberries!). To the left of the bramble, right at the bottom of the page, is a lesser celandine leaf. The blueish flowers are - Bluebells! Above the lowest bluebell flower is a tiny, yellow, star-like shape. This is the remains of a Celandine flower. The grass is easy to identify as grass but I don't know what kind it is. (Pretty tough though.) I think the leaves to the right of the top bluebell are baby Nettles. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more plants in there too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many species in one small rectangle!
I love goosegrass's brittle stems but hate those little balls all over my fleecy trousers when I've been gardening - must think I'm a sheep.
All the best :)

Anonymous said...

Goose Grass has so many vernacular names; locally it is called Sticky Willy. I must say that I like the feel of it when I am pulling out of the ground!

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

Hello Pat and Toffee Apple - I'm on the 'I like the little balls' side. Ever since I was a child, I've been fascinated by them. (I understand also that they were the inspiration for velcro but maybe that's a myth?)